What if I told you that I could increase your fundraising by 10 percent, with very little effort?
According to HEP Data, nearly one in 10 donors works for a company with a matching gift program. The trouble is that most donors don’t know it’s an option.
For nonprofits and donors alike, the process of cultivating a matching gift can be a little mystifying, as the policies and paperwork vary from company to company. Taking advantage of matching gifts requires some strategy. Here’s how you can maximize employer matches and start multiplying gifts:
- Create awareness. The donor needs to close the loop to procure the match. Prompt your donors to check with their HR departments or corporate websites about their matching gift programs. Update your donor communications to include matching gift reminders.
- Collect data. You need to know where your donors work and what programs are match eligible. Collect and maintain employer information on your donors. Research the top employers in your community and maintain detail on their matching gift programs. The more you know, the more effectively you can advise your donors.
- Use technology. Don’t know where your donors work? LinkedIn, Facebook and Google are all free sources of information. In addition, subscription databases for wealth screening and employer match programs are available.
- Follow up. Once you know where your donors work and that they are match eligible – get strategic. Customize your reminders – build a fact sheet with the donor’s specific company guidelines. Some companies provide online links to their guidelines – include the link in email reminders to your donor.
- Say thank you. When a match comes through, be sure to thank the donors AND their employers. Use the match as an excuse to build a relationship with the employer and you’ll soon find yourself benefiting from outright gifts as well as employee matches.
At the Steier Group, wealth screening and matching gift software programs are two tools we utilize to help our clients maximize their gift potential.